Thursday, June 11, 2009

Welcome to the Jungle

Once again, it's been a really long time since I've updated this, but I'm going to try and keep up with it now, for real this time. And, someday, I'd like to get all my stories, travel and otherwise, on here, so keep yourselves posted, even if there's months in between. The internet is such a perfect medium for publishing shameless narcissism, it's hard to turn down the opportunity.

So, a quick re-cap of my last 9 months: Europe >> home for holidays >> volunteered on farm in Mexico >> traveled around Mexico, Guatemala, Belize >> (screeching sound of brakes) went home to live with my mom and her husband in the cold, stale fog of conservative monotony that is my hometown, Alpena.

Why the return to the nest? Like all good things, the travel had to come to an end. I get burned out on traveling, believe it or not, and so does my bank account. But why go home for three long months? That brings us to my current location and how I got here.

Some time during my travels in Mexico, I came across a posting online for a Database Manager/GPS Course Leader wanted in Honduras for the summer. And, if you know anything about me, you know that this is right up my alley, so I applied immediately.

A short time went by before I got my first response and, after a few e-mails back and forth, I was offered the position! Psyched, I of course accepted, despite the fact that the job was unpaid, and that I would be required to live in a frigid wasteland, jobless, for three months.

Aside from a few bumps along the way (which can be expected when you're 27, unemployed, and living with your mother), the three months turned out well enough and I'm thankful for the experience. I learned some good lessons, both in life and on the computer, and was able to make my first website, this one being for my parents' moving company. Despite the fact that I had to learn nearly everything from the ground up, I think it turned out all right, so check 'er out HERE.

So, why take an unpaid position in the jungle for two months when I could probably find a decently paying job in the States? Well, for one, it's good professional experience. Up to this point, I haven't had this much responsibility in any job, and it will look great on a resume. Secondly, the cause is a good one. I'm not working for a timber company down here, this place is straight-up conservation. You know the cliche "save the rainforest"? The people I work for are the ones who carry out that task. Lastly, and this should be the most obvious reason for coming down here- more traveling!

Well, hopefully that will be enough to keep you reading, but you'll have to wait until the next post to hear about my jungle experience so far...

No comments: